It got me thinking (which has been a bit challenging lately) am I really that predictable? Do I consistently say, act or do things that people have come to expect? Can I even help myself? That question was answered for me this week.
Yep that's what I am eating on the train ride home almost every night. I Love the salty pretzels, DP is my favorite and I like peanut M&M's. You will notice that isn't the small bag either its the "tear and share" size. Just for the record let me break down the label's dirty secrets for you:
M&M’s (Peanut) - Tear and Share size - 3.27 Oz Serving size ½ pack, 2 servings. Two servings? Are you kidding me? I down those things like I heard there was a famine. Two servings? Great, now I have to do math to figure out how much bad is really in this yummy bag of good: Calories 480, Total Fat 24g, Sat. Fat 10g, Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 40mg. And that is just the M&M's!
Rold Gold Pretzels - 3 1/8 oz. Serving size 1 oz, about 3 servings. Again are you kidding me? According to this package I am eating for a family. All the while thinking that it isn't that bad. This is killing me. Amount per serving: Calories 330, calories from Fat 30, Total Fat 3g, Sodium 1680mg. Holy Crap!
Diet Dr. Pepper - 20 fl Oz. serving size 1 cup, 2.5 servings, Calories, 0, Total Fat 0, Sodium 87.5mg. At least I switched to diet!
For the record that is 810 Calories, 27g of fat, and 1,807.5mg of Sodium. Seems like a lot, and I am pretty sure I am not burning that much off while I ride the train. If you are interested here is the link to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2005. It is published every five years. Maybe I should wait for the 2010 version. It might be better for me.
Um, I guess I am predictable. This is my steady diet on the way home from work. It rarely varies. I realized that since I always go to the same deli, I can tell you that it costs $4.61 and the Asian gentleman will only charge me $4.60. That he won't give me any napkins and I will have to reach over the scale to pick them up myself. He will however give me a straw. Ugh! I am a creature of habit. I am predictable.
So what do I do now? Well, everyday since I came to this realization I have tried to vary my route walking to the train. Trying to be a bit more spontaneous and creative. I also do not purchase the same items. I mean its for a family of three how can I possible eat that stuff now?
My eyes were opened and now I realize that maybe it wasn't my metabolism that is slowing down after I turned 30, or my lack of exercise, it's because I started eating for a family of four. No wonder my waist size has gone up an inch a year five years running. No wonder I have "aggressive pants" (I was actually asked if my pants were manufactured by Speedo one day at work).
An inch a year? If that isn't predictable growth I don't know what is. I know investors that would pay a lot of money for that consistency. My waist has gone from 30" to 35". I just went past parity in 2007, 35 waist, 34 length. Now that is sad. I used to secretly laugh at those guys when you could read the label on their 501's. Now I am the fat kid everyone is pointing at. I have to do something about it.
Yet another reminder that I am not there yet.
Heading out to rent Super Size Me, who's making the nachos?
N.B.

No comments:
Post a Comment